JOHN DUFRESNE has written seven books, including the novel Love Warps the Mind A Little, a New York Times Notable Book, the fiction writing guide The Lie That Tells A Truth, and, most recently, the novel Requiem, Mass. He lives in Dania Beach, Florida. He recommends:
- Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee (Vintage)
- The Unprofessionals by Julie Hecht (Simon and Schuster)
- What It Is by Lynda Barry (Drawn and Quarterly)
- Eat Me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin by Kenny Shopsin (Knopf)
- Hubert’s Freaks: The Rare-Book Dealer, The Times Square Talker and the Lost Photos of Diane Arbus by Gregory Gibson (Harcourt)
The Millions, a literary blog, has more details from John Dufresne on why he loves these books.